1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating beaver Stetson

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by vince garcia, Aug 19, 2022.

1. vince garcia

vince garcia Registered Guest

Hi, Folks. I'm trying to ID the general age and model of a beaver brimmed Stetson hat I came across. Can anyone help with some info based on its label and style? I'm not certain whether it would be worth putting any money into restoring it, but if it's a collectible hat I may since it fits me. Thanks for any help!
    IMG_2449.JPG IMG_2448.JPG

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

HI,

I love that hat style. Can you take more photos for us? A photo of the entire underside, with the brim. A close up of the edging of the brim will be very helpful also. And a photo taken from the side or the top so we can see the crown. What is the hat lined with? Is it plastic placed over fabric? What do you think all that soiling is, and is it on the top also?

It may be worth restoring, but that will be expensive. A decision breaker might be the hat's head size. Does it have a size tag inside? If not, please measure around (not across) the inside of the crown at the very bottom edge, measured to the 1/4" if you can. If it is a size small I might not bother to restore it, as the larger the head size, the more value it has on today's market.

3. vince garcia

I already had some other photos but did not want to overdose folks w/too many. No plastic c0overing the label. Looks to be printed silk. No size tag. I don't have a good way to measure it but as it fits me it must be size 7 or 7 1/8. No idea what the soiling is. Black inner band, no writing on it IMG_2446.JPG IMG_2447.JPG

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Have you vacuumed it yet? I am always amazed how a good vacuuming with a brush attachment can make a world of difference to a felt hat. Then a brushing wth a soft clothes brush, and finally a damp cloth, and I mean barely damp, wrung out so there is no water coming from the cloth, and just lightly running it over the surface, followed by another brushing to raise the nap.

5. vince garcia

I haven't done much of anything yet--my primary issue is finding out its age before anything else

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

vince garcia likes this.