1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating black floral dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by 196t's, Nov 18, 2018.

1. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Good morning/afternoon/night,

I know I've been posting too much lately :hysterical:, but I believe that here in VFG there's so much to learn and so many ways to help each other that I just want to keep adding to my knowledge and to others' too.
    I found this dress in the vintage section of that same 'Flea Market' shop I went the other day (yes, the thrift shop's name is 'Flea Market') and decided to buy it. I've tried to search patterns and collar types but it led to nothing, basically (I mean, I did learn some new stuff :D). Apparently, its tag was cut off. The sleeves look 70s to me. What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Hello, it's very hard to see what's going on with this dress. Can you tell us more about it please?
    eg, what fabric is it made of, what sort of openings does it have (eg centre back nylon zipper). What are the buttons like? Does it have shoulder pads? What's the silhouette like? Eg, are there princess seams, bust darts, a waist seam... It looks home made, which makes it harder but it could be anywhere from the '40s to current day so more information would be helpful.

3. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Hi, Nicole! Thanks for answering.
    It appears to be made of some kind of synthetic silk. I could be wrong, though.
    It only has an opening in the front where the buttons are. From the last button, the garment is sewn closed.
    The buttons are big, round and have the same pattern as the dress. It doesn't have shoulder pads.
    It doesn't have any seaming that shapes it.
    Actually, there was a tag on it, but it was cut off.

4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Can you lighten the photos a bit (or a lot)? That would make it easier to see all sorts of things.

Just off the top of my head, that print looks 90s, but things cycle round regularly.

5. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Hey, Maggie! Sorry about the pictures, it was very late when I took them. I hope these will do.

Attached Files:

6. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I'm still leaning toward 90s. It doesn't look like there's enough "shape" in the silhouette for 70s.
    It reminds me of the grunge look miniflorals that were popular with Doc Marten boots. A lot of the dresses had a self-fabric elasticized strip that attached at the waist in back with suspender-type clips.

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I am seeing late 80s or early 90s. The shape, the rounded slightly scooped collar line. I am wondering if an old crepe fabric was used.

196t's likes this.
  8. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

I'm not sure about the fabric either... All I know is that it's a little bit transparent.

9. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

10. I see '90s too. If it was late '80s to early '90s it have shoulder pads so I see early to late '90s.

196t's likes this.