1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating blue dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Feb 16, 2018.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Hello. I found this dress at the same time as that red white and blue dress I posted. I love this dress. It's so classy. I don't know what the fabric is but it's very itchy to wear! It closes in front with one aged looking hook and eye, and it also has a metal zipper at the side. It has no tags or labels. If it was home made, they did a beautiful professional looking job. Might someone be able to guess it's age? Thank you very much!

IMG_8199.JPG IMG_8200.JPG IMG_8201.JPG IMG_8202.JPG IMG_8203.JPG IMG_8204.JPG IMG_8205.JPG IMG_8206.JPG

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I see a little bit later with this one - late 40s maybe?

Someone was a heck of a seamstress!

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I can see the hem has been taken up a fair bit, what would the neck to hem length be if it was the original length please?

4. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

What a pleasure to see such fine work done by seamstresses. Those were the days. Maybe early 50's. Yes the skirt should be longer for the most flattering effect.
    Marian

5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I see early '50's on this dress. Beautiful workmanship.

6. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you! I can just barely see a previous hem line, on the inside in places, where it was once ironed, maybe. Measuring from the neck where it joins with that hook and eye down to that hint of previous hem, it measures out to 40 and one half inches. Here's a good shot of that hint of old hem.

IMG_8221.JPG

7. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I think I'm going to let them hem down that additional 1.5" as I do think it would look lovely a little longer.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.