1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating coin purse

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Fifimacherie, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Fifimacherie

Fifimacherie Registered Guest

Hello,
    I have just been given 2 coin purses by my father in law and was hoping I could get some information about their age, how they would have been used and maybe their provenance. They are family heirloom and I would love to be able to tell my children more information about them. Thanks in advance for your help!
    Maggie
    (I will post one purse here, and do another thread for the second purse)

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

This one looks older than the chainmail bag - late 19th century - 1870s-90s?

3. Fifimacherie

Thank you! I was thinking it might belong to a chatelaine as there is just one loop at the top.

4. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

I agree with Jonathan as to date but would extend it through the first decade of the 20th Century. They didn't change much over quite a number of years, and the frame has a pretty generic decorative pattern. If this one is small it could have been a change-purse for a chatelaine or suspended from a waist sash by a chain and clip, a ribbon and clip or something similar. The beaded pattern is "Pliny's Doves," and the drops at the bottom are unusual; most of these had either a fringe or nothing at the bottom of the bag.

The chainmail purse has a finger ring so it could be carried/worn while dancing or other activity requiring free hands. It could be silver, so check the inside of the frame and all edges for an impressed mark and/or have it tested.

5. Fifimacherie

Thank you so much, this is so interesting!