1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help dating dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lulu Poppins, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Lulu Poppins

Lulu Poppins Registered Guest

Hi,

Hello,
    I've never had a dress like that and I do not usually find anything before the 70s. So I have no idea if this dress is real, or will it be a disguise?
    It has no labels of any kind. The fabric is quite rigid ... I had not seen any like this, nor of this style in my hands.
    The belt is plastic, thin and flexible... It was quite wrinkled.
    It has a zip through the back until the waist or maybe a bit more down (I need to check this).

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Hi there. What do the seams look like and can you get a close up of the fabric? And what is the shape of the bodice... are there darts?

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  3. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I would like to see more details, too. At first glance, I thought 1960's, but more information would help us be more clear.
    Marian

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  4. Lulu Poppins

Hi girls,
    I am sorry I don't have any closer pictures, but I can take more this evening or tomorrow and will upload them.
    There are darts, yes.
    Sorry for the delay, and thanks for your answer.

5. Lulu Poppins

Here a couple of pictures closer for the fabric and darts. They have been taken from a smartphone, the quality is so so. I hope they help.

Attached Files:

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I cannot say for sure but this dress is making me think that it is a reproduction dress or perhaps an 80s does 50s look. The reason I feel this is I find the belt loops to be more modern in size and the belt also seems to be larger than what one would be accustomed to.

It is a really cute dress!

Hopefully some more opinions will be on the way for you.

7. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Is the zipper metal or plastic? My initial reaction was that the dress is an '80's does '50's dress as well.

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I thought right away it looks "80s does 50s". But the underskirt/slip made me think it might not be 80s. The fact that the fabric is rigid......not a 1980s feature. So I really cannot tell from the photos. But the plastic belt leads me to think 80s. Guess I am not much help!

It is very cute.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    Lulu Poppins likes this.
  9. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Definitely 80s to my eye... kind of Pretty Woman cusper 1990.

Lulu Poppins likes this.
  10. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

One of those dresses you need to have in your hand to be more definitive. The "rigid" material, the big polka dots, the wide plastic belt, the seam finish all seem to me to be later than 1960's.
    Marian

Lulu Poppins likes this.