1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Paula Duffy, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Paula Duffy

Paula Duffy Registered Guest

Hi there,
    I'd really appreciate it if you could help me date this dress I picked up in a charity shop recently. It's drop waisted & fits approx a UK 10 (US 6). Measurements:
    Shoulder seam to shoulder seam: 36.5cm (14.5 inches)
    Hips (measured at the bottom of the drop waist): 84cm (33 inches) (Skirt flares out after that so it's pretty free sized)
    Bust: 94cm (37 inches)
    Length: 122cm (48 inches)

Attached Files:

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I think it's early-mid 80s.

Paula Duffy likes this.
  3. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I'm actually seeing early than that - the lack of Ginitex care symbols, and the zipper pull, look older to me. Looking online I see a lot of Tricosa dresses from the 60s and 70s, some with labels like this.

It's a great dress and it seems to be a very high-end company!

Paula Duffy likes this.
  4. Paula Duffy

Yep the zipper made me think it was older alright, even though it has the look of the '80s about it!

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I am seeing 1970s in the fabric. Hard to see the styling details on the dress, though. We need to see what is going on on the front of the dress, between the upper bust and right below the hipline area.

Paula Duffy likes this.
  6. Paula Duffy

Here's a few more photos. There's actually not a lot going on in that area - it's pretty straight down from the bust to the skirt apart from the lines of stitching that you can barely see!

Attached Files:

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I was thinking middly 70s 76-77ish The waist was often belted with a matching or contrasting thin belt.

Paula Duffy likes this.