1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintagiality, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Hi all,

Hoping to get some experts to weigh in on dating this dress. At first glance when I picked it up, I thought 50s but the more I look at it, it feels earlier to me. Specifically, the back silhouette is throwing me off. It has a center inverted pleat and a drop waist. Separately, it's lined in a chiffon looking fabric. No tags, no labels. Lastly, what type of fabric is this? It almost has the look of butcher cloth or similar but it's actually pretty soft to the touch. Could it be silk noil? I have never seen silk noil in real life so not sure what it feels to the touch but read about it in the fabric resource.

Thank you in advance,
    Victoria
    IMG_1522.JPG IMG_1523.JPG IMG_1524.JPG IMG_1525.JPG IMG_1526.JPG IMG_1527.JPG IMG_1528.JPG IMG_1529.JPG IMG_1530.JPG IMG_1531.JPG

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

No I think you're good for 1950's. The sack back feature on the top and drop waist effect from the bow are both from the later 1950's.

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Agree - looks like a late 50s dress. The books with the reprints from old Sears catalogs show different sack / sack back style dresses f0r 1958.

4. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Thank you both! Any thoughts on the fabric?