1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating folding umbrella with jewelled handle

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Amy S-C, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Amy S-C

Amy S-C Registered Guest

When my Nan passed away, we found a lot of vintage items. Amongst them were two folding umbrellas which are in perfect condition and I assume are vintage, but have no idea how old. It would also be interesting to know they’re British made as they travelled a lot in the 1960. Can anyone help?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Can you show a close up of the handle? Is it metal, and is the stone glass? There was a brief style for this type of umbrella in the 90s, but yours looks a bit smaller. I am not seeing it fold?

3. Amy S-C

Amy S-C Registered Guest

Hi I’m sorry for the slow reply! The handle is metal and the stones are glass. The end is a type of plastic. I’ll attach more photos here my Nan did travel to the Middle East in the 1960s so I wonder if it might be from then?
    101345E1-A39F-4195-953F-24538F2DCC3F.jpeg

Attached Files:

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Renaissance revival style handle with beige nylon folding canopy... I am thinking early 70s.

Amy S-C likes this.
  5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Sticking with late 1990 - early 2000s. I had one similar, but mine was the longer style with a larger (black) canopy, and had a smaller jewel. Someone stole mine from a bar when we were having drinks and I have never been able to replace it. Actually, I think I bought mine circa 2001-2002.

I could be wrong on the date of yours, of course! :)

Amy S-C likes this.