1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help dating Harris Tweed Jacket from Holt Renfrew for Label Resource submission

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Mar 13, 2013.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hi everyone, in preparing to list this jacket I see there isn't a bilingual label in the resource and wondered if I should submit this one...I had been thinking 1970s (because of bilingual labels in Canada) or 80s but not really sure and wondered if there is anything here to date it more specifically. I know that the CA numbers aren't equivocal (is that a word?)...
    Lauren

Attached Files:

2. Something about the Harris Tweed label makes me think it may be more recent than 80s, Lauren even though the style looks older. Are there any other labels inside the pockets?

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I am pretty sure its from that 1978-81 period. The cut is identical to my graduation suit from 1979 - its that period when men's wear was changing from fitted jackets with high, tight armholes and narrow waists into unconstructed Armani styles. Also the medium width lapel with the low button is perfect for wearing over a sweatervest or medium width tie. My dad would have worn it with grey slacks, pale blue shirt, striped tie and black shoes for business.

4. I like Jonathan's dating and wanted to add that there should be more labels inside the interior pocket. Also, it's not so much a Harris Tweed jacket, as a jacket made of Harris Tweed - the label is for the fabric, not the garment.

5. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I can so see this with a sweater vest!

6. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

So, apparantly I'm slow.....just getting around to getting this listed! I've learned to check a bit more carefully too....so sorry @Circa Vintage of course there were union labels inside the pockets....
    Now I have been looking for more info on Amalgamated Clothing and Garment Workers.....I see the textile and garment workers amalgamation history but am having trouble figuring out the clothing/garment merge....my search keeps taking me to Textile/garment.....anyway....wondering if there's something I'm missing here.
    Thanks for any input.

Attached Files:

7. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I've never seen a Harris Tweed label that doesn't have the ID number on it. I wonder if this is because it was made outside of the UK and therefore the Harris Tweed Authority are not part of the process?