1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating Hawaiian Shirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Kguth, Apr 14, 2022.

1. Kguth

Kguth Registered Guest

Hi there,
    I am trying to date this vintage shirt and have found the same label in several postings of Hawaiian shirts for sale that say it is from the 1950’s. I’m just wondering if this is accurate due to the seam finishes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

nope. those serged seams and that island print say 1980s. 1950s would have had nice flat-felled seams.

in the 80s (and 90s, and probably still) many manufacturers replicated their older labels for new "vintage inspired" lines.

it's a neat shirt, and vintage, too. just not as vintage as 50s.

3. Kguth

Kguth Registered Guest

Thanks, you unfortunately confirmed what I was thinking. Oh well, still a nice 80’s piece.

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

indeed!

5. Vintagebob

Vintagebob Registered Guest

It's difficult to date a vintage shirt based on just a label or the seam finishes, as there can be variations in production methods over time and across different manufacturers. However, based on the style and design of the shirt, it does appear to have elements of 1950s fashion, such as the bold and colorful print, the use of rayon fabric, and the relaxed fit. It's also possible that the label was used for a period of time beyond the 1950s, so the date could be approximate. If you have any additional information, such as where and when you acquired the shirt or any other identifying marks or labels, that could help with dating it more accurately.

elene77 likes this.
  6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I am seeing more of a 60s piece with that label and the collar.