1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help dating leather glove wallet?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Feb 2, 2019.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Is there anyway to date such an item?
    Thanks for any help!
    Lauren

Attached Files:

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

No idea... Can you show a larger close-up of just the drawing? Is that a volcano on the left? Rotorua was New Zealand's first tourist destination, famous already in the second half of the 19th century due the pink and white terraces. Those disappeared and the landscape around Rotorua was changed significantly due to the volcano eruption of 1886. I was wondering for a moment if those white mountains in the background are supposed to be the pink and white terraces, but probably not.

3. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Here are a few:

Attached Files:

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks like there is actual wording on the left hand side, what does that say?

5. Midge

Thanks! I don't see more writing beside the "Kia Ora from Rotorua NZ", but I see now what thought looked like an erupting volcano on the left is probably supposed to be a pouhutukawa tree - the bloom brigt red in the NZ summer, so they're their Christmas trees :). And the mountains in the backround, though white/light blue, are "just" mountains I guess.

6. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks Karin! I guess dating this would be next to impossible?

7. Midge

I really have no idea about dating. I guess glove wallets were a thing as long as it was normal to wear gloves... so maybe one could say it's probably not later than 60s or something like that. Otherwise, I haven't found any pointers, and the image is too generic as that it would hold any clues for dating.

8. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks again!