1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating Madame Grès Dress - 1950s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jennifer Kietzman, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Jennifer Kietzman

Jennifer Kietzman Registered Guest

Hello,

While the VFG label resource includes a 1940s label identical to the one in this Madame Grès dress, the style of this dress suggests to me that it was made in the 1950s. I’m hoping to hear your thoughts on the date of this piece.

Thanks for your help!

Jennifer

front.jpg top.jpg through the middle.jpg front hip view.jpg label.jpg shoulder detail.jpg side hip view.jpg

2. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

Looking very 50s to me, also!

Jennifer Kietzman likes this.
  3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Like Deborah's coat, I would think 1959-61

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with Jonathan. If it were RTW from the US, I would say it was early '60's.

5. Jennifer Kietzman

Thank you!

6. Jennifer Kietzman

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply! Where is Deborah's coat? I'm curious to see it.

7. Jennifer Kietzman

Hi Linn,

Thanks for your input! Is there a way to tell whether this is RTW from the US?

8. This is the coat Jonathan is referring to:

7250EF97-A1AB-4F06-97A1-52BDD1B9EE76.jpeg

9. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

10. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

RTW (from any country) refers to garments that are manufactured and sold in standard sizes in stores as opposed to custom made or couture. What I meant by RTW in the US is that back in the period when your Mme Grès dress was made, many RTW fashions made in the US and elsewhere were influenced by Paris (or other) designers and usually showed up the following season/year in the US.

You have been finding/asking about some great pieces lately. Where are you located?

11. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The label in your dress is in French, and intended for a French audience, so it was probably sold through the Gres boutique (most of the couturiers had boutiques where they sold scents, accessories, and semi-couture garments - often daytime things like this dress.) If it was couture, there would be either a hand written number on the reverse side of the label, or a piece of cotton twill tape or similar material, probably stitched into a seam in the skirt with the model name, number, perhaps a client name, date... something.

12. Jennifer Kietzman

Beautiful, thank you!

13. Jennifer Kietzman

Thank you for the explanation, Linn. Much appreciated.

I've been in Glens Falls, NY for about a year now. Most of my recent postings have been of garments found in this area.

14. Jennifer Kietzman

I checked the back of the label and examined the seams but found no additional information. Too bad. Many thanks, though, for your very helpful thoughts.