1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating Made in Japan silk lounge pajamas

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by denisebrain, Dec 17, 2018.

1. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

My sense is 1930s, but I just don't know. It is made of burgundy and ivory silk jacquard, with the jacket's lining made of lightweight satin. The buttons are big corded silk knots. Thank for your help!
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    P1016959.jpg
    The trousers fasten on both sides like this:
    P1016965.jpg
    P1016962.jpg

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

wow. I think 30s as well.

Jonathan and denisebrain like this.
  3. denisebrain

Thanks Cin! I have such a hard time with vintage Asian items.

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I understand! I do too. There were so many different eras of export but certain details stand out as each era if it makes sense.

5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

The "Made in Japan" on the label looks later to me than the 1930s but that's just my reaction. If they were made in the late '40's - early '50's right after the War for the American market, they should be marked "Made in Occupied Japan." (I have had jewelry marked Japan that was made in that period so that's not always the indicator.) Maggie, you and Cin have more experience handling this type of item than I do - for sure - and I can see '30's but also later. It seems that so many vintage Asian pieces are so timeless that it's hard to pin down exactly when they are from.

They are very fabulous!

denisebrain likes this.
  6. I am no expert either, but, the MOP type of buttons reminds me of mens tux studs from the late 40 to the 50s.

denisebrain likes this.
  7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I am getting more of a late 40s early 50s feel for these as well. The label does not look 30s to me and something about the tabs on the pants also looks a bit later. It is fabulous no matter when it's from!

8. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

That's really what I thought although it's possible they are a little further into the '50's since the label looks later rather than earlier and "Occupied Japan" is not on it. Occupied Japan dates are 1945-1952. I have read that not everything made then was marked "Occupied."

denisebrain likes this.
  9. denisebrain

All very good to know, thank you everyone!

To me the set looks like 30s quality and style (I've seen a lot less quality in items brought particularly back in the 40s), but I am not familiar at all with when you could find a "Made in Japan" label. You've helped a lot.