1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help dating Marie-France t-shirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jennifer Kietzman, May 29, 2021.

1. Jennifer Kietzman

Jennifer Kietzman Registered Guest

Hello everyone,

I've had this t-shirt laying around for a while now, and every now again I run searches and try to figure out whether it's authentic 70's or just made to look like it. It's made from a high quality, soft and thick cotton, like some t-shirts from the 70s, but I haven't been able to find anything definitive on the "Marie-France" label by Googling, my main research tool, along with newspapers.com.

Your thoughts on this would be very much appreciated. I'm tired of letting it collect dust!

Thank you,
    Jennifer
    Marie-France T-Shirt.jpg

2. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Hi!
    Can you show an image closeup of the hem and collar please?

Jennifer Kietzman likes this.
  3. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

Doing a quick search, I only found one reference to Marie France related to T-shirts and it was from 1977 but can’t be sure it’s the same one.
    14FB2D1E-9CB5-4299-BCEC-E3661C3A239F.jpeg

4. Jennifer Kietzman

Absolutely! One sec.

5. Jennifer Kietzman

I have the pictures, but every time I try to upload them, I get an error msg instructing me to "press back, refresh the page, and try again," which I've done several times. I'll restart my computer and log back in and see if that works its magic.

6. Jennifer Kietzman

Interesting, thank you! It's a start to something.

7. Jennifer Kietzman

Attached Files:

8. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

9. Jennifer Kietzman

That's awesome, thank you! Is it that newer t-shirts don't have finished collars such as this or hems?

10. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

It's a little more complicated. It's a combination of hem and collar type, and sewing techniques and threads. Your shirt with a mounted collar and single stitched hem are both 1970s T shirt construction attributes. Add in the satin-y printed label and the ad posted above by Victoria you have a full picture.

11. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

This usually means the photo file size is to large, though it can have other causes

12. Jennifer Kietzman

Thank you! I really appreciate learning more of what you see when you look at the details.

carla rey likes this.
  13. Jennifer Kietzman

Thank you, Ruth!