1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating men's shoes 1920s 1930s 1940s?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Joji Furukawa, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Joji Furukawa

Joji Furukawa Registered Guest

I found this fantastic pair of men's shoes at the thrift store today but I'm having trouble dating them. I would probably guess they're from the 1930s based on similar stules but these cap toes were also popular in the 1920s and the 1940s from what I've researched. They're very heavy and well made. Also, is there any way to remove mold from poor storage from the inside of the shoe? They're in really great shape otherwise and totally wearable. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I wrote a history of Dack's on my blog a few years ago: http://kickshawproductions.com/blog/?p=2933
    Conservatively styled men's business shoes are really hard to date because they don't change much over time, however, I think these are 1950s because of the construction of the soles - using Blake stitching rather than Goodyear Welting, which is pretty standard by the 1960s.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  3. Agree with '50s: if they were my size I'd wear them. They're great!

4. Joji Furukawa

Joji Furukawa Registered Guest

Thank you both for your help! That article was really interesting, I had no idea they were such a well established brand! I too would wear them if they were my size but sadly no such luck :(

5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

what a great pair of shoes, Joji! congrats on a great find!

Joji Furukawa likes this.