1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating "Miss Dior" wool coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Feb 23, 2016.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hi everyone,
    The label in this coat is in the Label Resource from a 1970s garment....this coat seems more like a 1980s or 90s to me....wondering if you have any thoughts?
    Thanks alot,
    Lauren

Attached Files:

2. Jen S

Jen S Registered Guest

Beautiful, I want it! I would've said it was late 60s or early 70s. Does not look 80s to me, but hopefully others with more knowledge will chime in.

3. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

thanks Jen....just bumping this for any last minute input!

4. Any care labels Lauren? Classic styles can be hard to date. Can you tell us what the lining fabric is?

5. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hi Nicole....don't see anything else. There are belt loops, not sure if that helps?

6. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

here's a shot of the loop and the pocket.....

Attached Files:

7. Have you tried looking down all the side seams? Care labels have been required since the '70s.

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I agree that it can be tricky to date from the photos alone, as it is such a classic style. My first thought was late 1960s, but I was not sure about the font used on the label as it looked more 1970s. What looks late 1960s to me is the cut of the coat and the length, but even more so the patch pockets. I would love to see the sleeves shown in an "arms away" pose so we can see the underarms and top of the sleeves. The sleeves in a 1960s coat would usually be more slender and fitted, and the sleeves on your coat look fuller, like a 1980s coat.

Here is an ad from 1967 with the Rene' Gruau design, so the coat could be from that time.

grau dior.png

9. More information would be helpful but assuming that none is forthcoming, this garment could be from the '70s. It's a hard one though. Part of the reason why I'm going with a '70s date rather than '60s, '80s or '90s is the patch pockets (as Barbara has identified) and the lining, which seems to be a rayon rather than polyester or acetate.

10. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks 60s to me. Pity the belt is no longer with it, it probably had a mod styled buckle.

11. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I've found this style of coat in a lot of dress/suit sets with the Peggy French Couture brand label. They were quite conservative for the period, are were often 60s looking, but dating from up to the late 70s. The fabric/care labels may have been in a matching dress. You can also check behind the Miss Dior label.

12. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

so, no labels anywhere else I can find searching the whole garment....OKAY, my possible bad (...I'm wondering if it could have been shortened....the lining was so neat looking that I hadn't turned it inside out....anyway here are some shots.....

Attached Files:

13. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hi Everyone, finally getting this one listed. Wondering if there are any further thoughts on dating for this one. Here are a few more shots. The sleeve is @20 inches around the armhole if that helps?
    Thanks again for any input.
    Lauren

Attached Files: