1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating my Aquascutum coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Sarah_Dawn, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Sarah_Dawn

Sarah_Dawn Registered Guest

Hello everyone. I am looking for some help to date this beautiful women's Aquascutum coat I found yesterday. I have narrowed it down to a 30 year window based on the tags. The Aqua 5 was introduced in 1959, and the other tag sewn on is from Woodley Furriers which shut its doors in the late 80's. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank 20180905_105928-1.jpg you!

Attached Files:

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

3. bubblegumvintage

bubblegumvintage Registered Guest

Not sure but I'm trying to date a herringbone Aquascutum I own that has this label

Attached Files:

4. @bubblegumvintage

If you would like help with dating, please start a new thread and include photos of the garment, front, back, lining, as well as any labels.

5. @Sarah_Dawn

Agree with Laura - great colour. I think your coat is circa early 70s. Look forward to what others think.

6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

It's a similar shape to a british made Wetherall coat I had that we accurately dated here to 1963. I would place this Aquascutum coat in the mid 1960s. This is a page from a 1964 Sears catalogue certainly showing yellow was a trendy colour around this time:
    [​IMG]

7. Being Canadian made with that bilingual label Eng/Fr, I'm leaning to later. I'm also seeing more of a classic, square styling.

8. Sarah_Dawn

Sarah_Dawn Registered Guest

Thanks for the help. I love the colour too, the photo doesnt quite capture it. Does anyone know when Aquascutum began making (or selling) coats in montreal and new york?

9. Andrea Palmer-Nash

Andrea Palmer-Nash Registered Guest

I may be able to provide some information that can help with dating your beautiful coat. I am a decent of the Woodley family. Maida Woodley, was my grandmother.

4 generations of Woodley men operated the shop at 273 Front Street, Belleville. The furrier technically didn't close in the 1980s. It merged with Richard Davis in the early 1990s. Dan Woodley and Richard Davis remained in business together for a few years before the rename to Richard Davis Men's Wear.

Based on family history and Aquascutum research this jacket is likely mid 1960s. The Woodley family also operated out of Montreal and had connection to England at the time. It may have been imported by family, the stitching on the Woodley label seems to support this theory.
    As I find more information, I will attempt to update this thread.