1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating / naming antique hat?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DaisyandStella, Feb 3, 2020.

1. DaisyandStella

DaisyandStella VFG Member

Hi all - I'd love some help on dating and naming this type of Victorian hat.
    It's velvet and has floral appliqués trimmed with metallic bullion and tiny beads along with two velvet sashes that extend from the bow back. There's an opening at back center (for crown of head?) with an embellished center band. Would this have been worn on the back of the head like a chignon?

Any info would be greatly appreciated - I've been searching the web for 1800s hairstyles and hats but haven't found anything yet that seems to pinpoint to this one.

Brooke

Attached Files:

2. I am seeing a later reproduction with the velvet and the way it is designed.
    But our expert may have another idea

DaisyandStella likes this.
  3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

1890-hats-350x485.jpg
    I think it's real - c. 1889-1890. The bonnet is probably worn over the bun at the back of the crown of the head, anchoring it in place. Tan is popular colour late 80s - early 90s, and bronze beading is also popular.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  4. DaisyandStella

DaisyandStella VFG Member

Thank you Jonathan!