1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating polka dot dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by acceber, Mar 2, 2018.

1. acceber

acceber VFG Member

I'm assuming it's somewhere in the 60s 70s but I'm not sure which. There are no tags. I've been running across a lot of stuff lately with no tags. Unsure on the fabric. Interesting stitching on the seams. Any idea as to how old? Thanks very much for your help!

IMG_8254.JPG IMG_8255.JPG IMG_8256.JPG IMG_8257.JPG

2. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Your pretty printed cotton dress appears to be late 1950's or early 1960's made by a skillful seamstress, thus no labels. But I really want to know about the antique sewing machine in the background.
    Marian

Nancylou likes this.
  3. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Thank you for your help!

The sewing machine is actually 2 sewing machines. I own a 1928 singer that is folded down inside that table. It's a treadle machine. The case on top was given to me recently by my aunt. It's a Wilson rotary from the late 1800s and it belonged to my grandmother. It's been converted to electric but I don't think it works now. I didn't need it because my singer does work but I'm certainly glad to have the Wilson for sentimental reasons. I don't have a pic of my singer but I do have one of the Wilson.

IMG_8669.JPG

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  4. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Thanks for the picture and information. What a wonderful link to your grandmother. I am fascinated by the history of sewing machines. The inventors were fascinating and the machines were such an important part of women's lives. I have an early 1900's Wilcox Gibbs sewing machine with wonderful intricate cast iron legs and treadle like this one on Pinterest. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/466544842619881255/
    Mine is intact but I haven't tried to see if it works. I use it as a plant stand!
    Marian

acceber likes this.
  5. acceber

acceber VFG Member

Oh I love your machine. I too am fascinated by antique sewing machines, but I have a love for all things old. I do antique furniture restoration and upholstery, only when a piece is near to ending up in a landfill. I have very little interest in anything modern. lol

I have a friend who has quite a collection of antique sewing machines. He has two that are similar to yours. I believe he said they were sewing machines for children but I'm not sure.