1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating/pricing Vintage Burberry Skirt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by ZENSKI, Jun 28, 2021.

1. ZENSKI

ZENSKI Registered Guest

Hello everyone,
    I stumbled upon this forum, while looking for information regarding an old burberry skirt, which I found in the basement drawer at my moms (Germany).

While researching I found it a little odd, that there was no label with "Burberry/Burberrys on the waistband itself - only the blue label one on the inside. As the label indicates the skirt is made off 100% wool, while the interior Lining is made off 100% viscose. The overall length is approx. 70 cm (27,5 inches) and the waistband is approx. 66 cm (26 inches) in circumference.

If anyone has more insight regarding the age I would be glad to hear it. Any additional suggestions in regards to pricing would be much appreciated aswell.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

If you need any additional pictures, just let me know.

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi and welcome to the forums, Thomas. Please note that we can help with dating, however, we don't give valuation info on the forums - see the forum rules.
    Burrberry changed from Burberrys with an "s" to Burberry ca. in the late 90s (see our Label Resource), so your skirt at least predates that. Let's see if our members have more input for you.

GemGem and The Vintage Merchant like this.
  3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Can you tell me what the last care symbols are on the care label? I can only see three.

4. ZENSKI

ZENSKI Registered Guest

For sure.

Attached Files:

GemGem likes this.
  5. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Are there any other label on it?

If not, this is my best guess...

I think it's likely an 80s piece. There are elements I think are later but the absence of the tumble dry symbol in the UK usually means pre 1987? (from memory). I'm not sure if the blue label for the care info was an early addition, or later, so I think 80s is likely with the info so far, as per the styling of the skirt too (though a timeless design, kilt style long pleated skirts were very fashionable in the 80s (and even 70s).)

6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I think this is often but not always true - though I think it's 1985. It's not so much a tumble dry symbol, but any drying symbol (eg dry flat, is another drying symbol), that was added after that. However there are, as with so many things, exceptions to the rule, and the absence of a drying symbol doesn't always mean pre 1985 (and probably the presence of a drying symbol occasionally happened earlier to). With something that says Do Not Wash, a drying symbol is irrelevant, so might not be included anyway?

That said, I agree with you, likely 1980s for this skirt!

GemGem likes this.