1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating red leaf bracelet

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by dorkbait, Feb 10, 2018.

1. dorkbait

dorkbait Registered Guest

Hello all! Hoping you can help me put a date on this lovely bracelet. Google has been relatively unhelpful because most of the items I see in this style are lucite or celluloid, and this is neither - I don't think it's bakelite either, it almost feels like glass - and have plastic rather than metal chains. It does have a style quite similar to 3os-40s novelty bakelite pieces. There are no maker's marks.

Thank you in advance.

IMG_2370.jpg

2. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

The bracelet looks C. 1930 to me. If the leaves are glass - they will feel "cool" or colder to the touch than the chain. The chain looks like Celluloid. The catch looks like brass. Are you sure the leaves are not Celluloid or Bakelite? Are they lightweight or heavy in a relative sense?

3. dorkbait

dorkbait Registered Guest

Thank you, Linn - the chain is brass as well, I think. It's definitely metal and not plastic. The leaves definitely do feel colder to the touch than the chain, and they don't feel like any of the celluloid or bakelite I have in my collection. They are fairly heavy, and make a jingling sound when worn. 30s would make sense; the booth I bought it from had quite a bit of deco-era jewelry.

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Sorry - I misread that you'd said your chain was plastic which is why I said it looked like Celluloid. I definitely think it's C. 1930s but I'm not sure what the leaves are made of. Can you do a "tooth test" and compare how it sounds or feels to something that you know is Bakelite or Celluloid. The leaves are very opaque for glass.

I really like it! Nice find!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018