1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating sheared muskrat (?) and leather coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Mar 10, 2019.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hi there!
    I believe this is sheared muskrat and had originally thought 1980s but could it be 70s?....there are no labels and it appears the coat has been shortened at some point....wondering if 80s is correct?
    Thanks for any input.
    Lauren

Attached Files:

• du1.JPG
      du1.JPG
      File size:
      31.7 KB
      Views:
    • du3.JPG
      du3.JPG
      File size:
      39.8 KB
      Views:
    • du2.JPG
      du2.JPG
      File size:
      39.3 KB
      Views:
    • du5.JPG
      du5.JPG
      File size:
      28.9 KB
      Views:
    • du6.JPG
      du6.JPG
      File size:
      29 KB
      Views:
    • du7.JPG
      du7.JPG
      File size:
      29.2 KB
      Views:
    • du9.JPG
      du9.JPG
      File size:
      38.4 KB
      Views:
    • du0.JPG
      du0.JPG
      File size:
      28.2 KB
      Views:
    • du12.JPG
      du12.JPG
      File size:
      31.3 KB
      Views:
    • du22.JPG
      du22.JPG
      File size:
      47.4 KB
      Views:
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Does this have any labels? It looks like the fur may have been from an older coat to me and then revamped to give it a modern look with the leather trim.

I am wondering if it is sheared rabbit. Hopefully not seal, as seal can't be sold anymore.

Caryn, should come along to help.

3. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

It is 80s and the fur is sheared muskrat but I think the fur is original to the coat based on how the fur is sewn at the seams and the design itself. The fur inside the collar matches the fur on the body, the leather on the outside of the collar matches the leather sleeves, and the button and loop closure looks original too which might be off if the fur were added after.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Glad to see your take on it, Caryn. This one had me stumped! I have never seen much of black sheared muskrat.

5. peaceful vintage

You were right on to think sheared rabbit or seal because both rabbit and muskrat have been dyed to look like seal. :)

6. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks to both of you! So, speaking of dyed fur....this one is also stumping me....is this one seal? Or dyed sheared beaver? Also any sense of date? 1920s? 30s? The photos are not great, but it feels a bit like sheared beaver, but the person who gave it to me had hazarded Seal as their guess.

Attached Files:

7. I would have never guessed the first to be muskrat either

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    peaceful vintage likes this.
  8. peaceful vintage

That is beautiful. This one actually dates to the late 70s, maybe even early 80s.

I need better lighting to see those pelts and lay it out flat open if you can so I can see all of the fur.

9. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

I've tried....so hard to capture the black....anyway, I've brightened to ugly on a few here to give the lines....the colour is very deep jet black and it looks great but the edges have some breakdown of the dye? Hope these help!

Attached Files: