1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating silk set, 70's with metal zipper?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GemGem, Sep 18, 2018.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Hello all,

I have another question regarding something beautiful and vintage,

I have bought two of these sets, one in red and one in yellow, both have metal zippers (one a little corroded-fixed with a tiny drop of oil on a cotton bud!) . One is signed to the silk and one not. Both by Azner Reli. Showing the red version here.

I have seen silk scarves online in vintage shops by Aznar Reli, all seems to be 70's. Have not seen any articles of clothing though.

The styling looks 70's to me but was wondering if any of you could cast an expert eye?

Pics attached IMG_4673.jpg IMG_4691.jpg IMG_4692.jpg IMG_4696.jpg

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks 70s to me as well, something that would have more than likely been worn by a professional career woman at that time. No jackets to accompany either sets? I could see a jacket matching the skirt with these as well.

GemGem likes this.
  3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Ah good point, no jackets for either set, what a shame. I can totally see a career woman in them! I did wonder about the collars are they are quite short, I usually see huge pointed collars for the 70's... but there must have been variation, maybe not to the extent as we see now but some. I read that the metal zipper were used much earlier but i'm presuming they were still used afterwards.

I always wonder about care labels, weather there were certain points each symbols started to appear. I did find one guide but it was more relating to other aspects such as when percentages of fabrics had to be used and when care labels were introduced.

4. poppysvintageclothing

I am trying to remember when those little rounded collars were in fashion. I do believe late 70s.
    Suzanne did make a good point about the care label though, I actually did not pay attention to that.

GemGem likes this.
  5. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

The collar actually does have points rather than being rounded but it is a very short collar and hard to tell from the picture. Is there any other pictures that would help with dating, I could take/upload?

6. poppysvintageclothing

GemGem likes this.
  7. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Thats really helpful thanks! I think it's safe to assume a strong possibility of pre 1985 given the absence of a tumble dry symbol and that the Garments were made in France which follows the European system cited.

Many of the items in my haul are late 70's-early 80's... trick is figuring out which is which! I have two Averardo Besi maxi skirts, all with originals tags still attached of which the label corresponds to the 70's labels in the label resource here. So thats really helped! I also have six Averardo Bessi two piece sets (shirt and trousers). I will post pics of those once I get to them!

p.s I'm still imaging how fabulous a matching jacket would be!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  8. poppysvintageclothing

You got some lovely items...good for you!

GemGem likes this.
  9. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Coming back to this as have realised these collars were very popular in the 50's (i'm learning so much!). I realise that this probably helps none in dating the set as the print and care label seem to be later. Although the below images do show red check and red stipe shirts. Care label has thrown me now though and without any conclusive dating info it's so hard to tell. I have to admit the fabric and construction do have an earlier 'feel' to them.

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 20.17.06.png

10. No earlier than late 1970s, possibly 1980s.
    Jonathan posted this 1983 photo in a different thread, one of the outfits has a similar collar:
    [​IMG]

HERE is another silk set by Azner Reli, dated 1986, but nothing like yours other than the pleated skirt. I found a few other wool pleated skirts by Azner Reli, too.

I see you already have the red and yellow sets listed on an auction/sale site as 1970s sets.

GemGem likes this.
  11. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Thanks! I have revised to reflect the new info and put it as most likely late 70's early 80's. It's really helpful getting the feedback, I appreciate it.

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.