1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help dating sleeveless kimono

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Aimee, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

any help dating this piece would be appreciated. it seems to be some sort of sleeveless kimono? very long approx 54" - heavily embroidered. no tags / closures . thank you !

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 10.28.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 10.28.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 10.28.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 10.28.02 PM.png

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Would it be possible to see a close up of the embroidery. I am thinking more of a middle eastern garment.

Aimee likes this.
  3. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

Here you go!

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 12.14.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 12.14.21 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 12.14.09 PM.png

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Thank you, can't place what country this would have come from easily. Perhaps Morocco. I don't see it as being a kimono per se as in a Japanese kimono.

Aimee likes this.
  5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

What a lovely garment, I love the faux tassels in back. Does this actually open down the front, like a robe? Or is it sewn shut. more like a caftan?

Also, what is the fabric? Is it a cotton, wool, etc? And is it textured, or smooth, etc?

Aimee likes this.
  6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I have some of the same questions as Barbara, and I agree with MJ that it is not a Japanese kimono. I am seeing an early 20C. teens to 1930s - European; but that is not my area of expertise.

Aimee likes this.
  7. Aimee

Aimee Registered Guest

Thank you all for getting back to me!

I see some middle eastern influence like you're saying, the chain stitching gives me the impression

Love the tassel detail! It open's all the way down the front like a robe.

The fabric feels like some of my crepe 30's dresses in a way? Lightly textured

I was thinking and hoping it would be from around that time period. Thank you!