1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating 'TESCAN SKIN' capelet and what is TESCAN?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Sep 12, 2017.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hello Everyone
    I thought originally this was faux acrylic fur (that's what it feels like) but after some research I'm getting a variety of different info re: Tescan Skins (somewhere it said it's a yarn fiber, other places I'm getting sheepskin, beaver etc)

Was thinking 70s originally but wonder if this is earlier as it has a 40s look and button.....stumped I am!

Any thoughts?
    Lauren

Attached Files:

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

From the super-quick search I did, it looks like Tescan refers to Tescan Ltd., "processors of fur skins." Most of the references to their furs were to lamb skins -- or "beaver lamb," whatever that is.
    IMG_7818.jpg
    IMG_7820.jpg

And here is a closer image of the small text at the bottom of the photo above...

IMG_7819.jpg

IMG_7821.jpg
    IMG_7822.jpg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  3. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi there,

Sorry for my delayed reply. Beaver lamb is a word that originated in the United Kingdom that described lamb that looked like beaver. In the US we call that mouton and pretty much everyone calls it mouton now.
    Yours though is not beaver lamb/mouton. Your is indeed sheepskin and it dates to the 50s.

The_Observer_Sun__Nov_11__1979_.jpg

4. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks to you both! If I'd gone by font alone I would have guessed 70s.....I guess it was the Wild West influence on the graphics.