1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating These Christian Dior Pumps

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by AmyS83, Apr 16, 2019.

1. AmyS83

AmyS83 Registered Guest

Help!

I am trying to get more info about these shoes. They are Christian Dior Bonwit Teller. Would that be 1960 something? They have writing on the inside which seems to be important. I also don't see a size. Does the writing have anything to do with that?

Attached Files:

2. I think you are correct with 60s. A side shot of the whole shoe to see the type of heel and a full toe shot will help narrow it down.

3. AmyS83

AmyS83 Registered Guest

I know it looks like a blurry photo, but that is the way the print looks.

Attached Files:

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Very pretty..moire silk..bet these had the dress to match! Our shoe expert should be along hopefully.
    I see late 50s or early 60s.

5. Marry Smith

Marry Smith Registered Guest

According to me they are not as old as 1960 but I think they are from 1980s. But never throw them as old is gold.

6. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

7. AmyS83

AmyS83 Registered Guest

I wish they were my size! I would keep them!

8. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

The sizing as well as the style makes them earlier than 1980s - by that time, widths were N, M and W. The size on these is 7B, which is the previous system of A, B, C, D, & E that is still used for mens dress shoes. The fabric looks like a lovely silk ikat or warp dyed print. Expensive fabric, but that stands to reason given the maker and store labels. I am thinking late 50s, early 60s, but others here know shoes better than I.

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Yes, Hollis is correct, they are 7B, aka 7M. The rest of the writing are manufacturing numbers for internal use - you aren't expected to know what they mean - they are date stamps/fabric/heel height/style/model #s so that the right shoes end up together during manufacturing and shipping. The numbers are unique to each company's invention and probably forgotten by those who used to know what they meant. I know (or used to know) the Bata and some of the Bally number codes from people who used to work in those shoe factories. Christian Dior shoes were made by Delman in the U.S. and Rayne in England, so this pair was made in the U.S. by Delman for Christian Dior. I actually think they are late 1950s - the toe is slightly domed, which is a 50s feature, the toe becomes quite flat on top as it gets more pointed in front. I am suggesting 1955/56 for these which coincides with the popularity in warp printed silks. I would have said 1956, but the lack of 'Roger Vivier' on the label (who was credited on Dior shoes after 1955) makes me think they may be 1955. The high cut vamp is also more typical of an early 50s shoe style, so they may be 1954/1955 but not earlier as the heel shape is wrong for anything earlier.
    img_6883.jpg

PS: They were probably made to match a dress, or at least a purse as part of an ensemble.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  10. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

And Ladies and Gentlemen - that's our shoe man!

11. AmyS83

AmyS83 Registered Guest

Love the background of these shoes! Thank you!!!