1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating these Ferragamo shoes

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jenniferk225, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Jenniferk225

Jenniferk225 Registered Guest

I purchased these Ferragamo Vara shoes at a resale shop and am trying to figure out just how vintage they are. They look very “vintage” (aka old), have definitely been worn many times, but they’ve been well taken care of and are in great condition. The bottom stamp looks legit for an older make of this shoe, but my concern is the lack of branding on the insole. Is it possible that the original insole markings have simply
    worn away from use? IMG_1807.jpg IMG_1826.jpg IMG_1827.jpg IMG_1834.jpg

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Would you happen to have a close up, side photo of the heels?

3. Jenniferk225

Do these help?

Attached Files:

4. Hello and welcome to the forums. The extra pics help a lot: stacked wooden heel plus that style of bow and almond toe suggest late '70s to me, but such a classic style could go into the early '80s.

5. Jenniferk225

Fantastic! Thanks! I suppose the original stamped insole must have simply been replaced by the original owner. Thank you for your help!

6. Yes, the insoles could have been replaced. If I ran a shoe resale shop, I'd keep a stash as otherwise nice shoes can show a lot of wear inside.

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Problem is, these are classic pumps and they change very littls. However, I think the toes are too round for late 70s-early 80s. I think these are more likely mid 90s. The signed buckle piece is a more recent development (90s and up)

8. Jenniferk225

Thank you! Have you ever seen insoles that have been replaced for a non-vintage shoe like this?

9. Good point, Jonathan. I agree.

10. almostalovestory

almostalovestory Registered Guest

Hi there,

These are called the Vara or Vara bow pump. They are classics but they still make them now. Really popular! I bet the gold printing wore off the insoles. They look just like the ones they sell today except the heel might be slightly more narrow. They are still made in Italy.

11. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I was just going to say, I have seen this style for sale in a Ferragamo shop at an airport just last summer. They still make them exactly the same.