1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating this 2 piece culotte set

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Into the void, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Into the void

Into the void Registered Guest

Hello I’m back:) I need help determining when this 2 peice set is from. The shorts portion have a front pleat so it looks like a skirt from the front And the top is somewhat cropped with slits up the sides. There is also a metal zipper down the side of the shorts. It appears to also be homemade....

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

There was a fad for culottes in spring/summer 1960, which is when I think these ones are from

3. Into the void

Thank you so much! So spring summer of 1960? That’s great! Is there any other clues that might lead you to this set being 60s and not 50s or 40s just for my own info so I can be more informed in the future. I thought the print on it seemed very 60s but I’d like to get your thoughts as to what aspects make it 60s as someone with a little more knowledge on the topic than myself :)

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

sleeveless tops are typical of 50s-60s, the length is right for late 50s-1960 (the hemline doesn't climb to above the calf until 1961/62), the shapeless top is post 1957 - it would be tapered to fit if earlier, and even that print is typical of late 50s-60s.

5. Into the void

Thank you sooooo much! this one hits around the mid to upper calf maybe knee area depending on how tall. Me and my mannequin are both 5 10 and it hit right at the knee bend . Thanks again! Very helpful :)