1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating this cute Dress by " sand n sun"

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Into the void, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Into the void

Into the void Registered Guest

Hey I need help dating this lil number by sand n sun. It's a button down dress with big cloth buttons and tiki looking accents on the pockets and collar it's pretty straight cut the seams are French seams I believe, and there are no serged seams. but I have to get a good picture that will load. The fabric feels like a natural thick woven knit but kinda feels almost waxy in a way. Anyways hoping you gals could help based on the info I have given you, I steamed it out and a big stale cigarette smell came wafting into my apt lol. First time I've experienced that! Ickkkk

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a wonderful dress. It could be helpful to see the full length of the dress. There was so much great American fashion coming out of California right after WWII and in the early to mid 1950s and this falls right into that time period for me.

A sheath dress, and I adore those buttons. Could we see a close up of those?

The fabric looks like linen, or possibly rayon or cotton woven to imitate linen which was popular at the time. The waxy feel could be a finish or sizing in the fibers which has aged over time. Maybe? The linen colored fabric is a weave, not a knit. I cannot tell much about the multi colored fabric, would need a better photos of that.

The dress is a really nice find.

3. Into the void

Into the void Registered Guest

Thank you so much for all your help! It was definitely a diamond in the rough I found it while I was on vacation in Colorado:) my first impression was definitely mid century but then I started to doubt myself when I dressed her up and thought 80s Then when I inspected the inside and the label again I started thinking 50s. But I definitely needed to expert advice to thank you!

I have some more pictures for you, the dress comes up about knee length (a little above) on my 5 10 mannequin.

Attached Files:

4. catseyevintage

catseyevintage VFG Member

Due to the bottom button being right at the hemline, the dress looks like it may have been shortened from it's original length. Normally a bottom button is at least an inch or two (or more) above the hem.

5. I agree with a '50s date and also that it's likely been shortened, which was popular as hems rose. This is a style you could easily wear into the '60s as the shift style was so popular then.

I recommend hand washing it: steaming just freshens, it's no substitute for laundering especially when nasty smells lurk. A friend bought a very expensive '40s coat from a reputable shop (that I know only steams, not cleans its stock) and loved it until she was caught in the rain and then suddenly it smelt like an ash-tray!

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Just as a caution, if it were mine, I would want to determine the fibers before hand washing. If it is a combination of 2 fabrics they could shrink (or not shrink) at different rates and cause puckering, or the colors might bleed on the colored portions. Best to determine the fiber content of each fabric before washing. Dry cleaning might be best, although they may not be able to remove the tobacco smell. There are ways to lessen or remove these odors.