1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating this Dress with Mirco Pleating

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by BGVintage, May 14, 2022.

1. BGVintage

BGVintage Registered Guest

Hi Everyone!

I need some help dating this dress as it it an utter mystery to me.

The silk fabric and pleating along with the neckline detail read as a much older decade, however there is elastic in the hem of the sleeves which is throwing me for a loop. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

I found a dress on Etsy that has a similar look and fabric here.

Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

Well, a pretty dress, but I can tell you it is not Fortuny. These types of pleated garments were popular I think in the 1990s (not sure on the decade), and were imported from India or a similar Asian or Arabian country.

BGVintage likes this.
  3. BGVintage

Thank you! Yes, definitely not Fortuny. I've been reaching and found that this pleating the a 'mushroom pleats'. I've been finding similar pleating on dresses in the 80s and 90s.

It's just the neckline that reads older to me.

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I think it's back to front on your dress form. The lower neckline at the front and the mesh detail at the back.

Though it looks good this way too, but from what I can see of the shoulder seams, I think the other way may be correct.

BGVintage and MagsRags like this.
  5. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I think Ruth is right about the front and back, and I agree about the dress being 80s-90s. It's gorgeous! I love those sleeves.

BGVintage likes this.
  6. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I see (feel) 1980's. Lovely dress.
    Marian

BGVintage likes this.
  7. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I'm reminded of this skirt I had, which is 1990s. Same colour, similar mesh and embroidery, and boho vibe. This was rayon, not silk and not silky, but your dress does very much bring it to mind.

DSC_0425.jpg

8. BGVintage

Thanks Ruth! The skirt is very much of the same boho vibe and color. I'm glad to have narrowed the dress to the 80s-90s, so very helpful.

Retro Ruth likes this.