1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help dating this embroidered corset cover?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by blubirdboutique, Nov 21, 2019.

1. blubirdboutique

blubirdboutique Registered Guest

Hello! I also won this beautiful camisole (not sure what it is exactly) at the textile auction. It's so sweet. Any thoughts on dating? Thank you as usual! I can also add more photos if needed.
    unnamed (10).jpg

2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It's an evening bodice, not a corset cover, and its 1860s or early 1870s

3. blubirdboutique

Thanks Jonathan!

4. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

What might have made you think of it as a foundation garment is its lack of sleeves, but detachable sleeves were in common use at the time.

5. blubirdboutique

Thanks! Yes, I was thinking it would cover something. My knowledge of anything pre-edwardian is lacking. I find it particularly difficult actually. I think maybe because it is so different than the clothing we wear now. I need to keep reading and absorbing. Do you think this evening bodice was worn to a formal event or just average daily wear?

6. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

As Jonathan said, it's an evening bodice and so formal. Some call them ballgown bodices.

blubirdboutique likes this.
  7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

On second look, definitely 60s, possibly even late 1850s. It probably originally had short ruffled lace sleeves that were taken off and reused.

blubirdboutique likes this.
  8. blubirdboutique

Neat! I would say this is my first 1850s or even 1860s. It's much more beautiful in person - the auction listing didn't even look remotely close. I'm having trouble pricing, can't seem to find much to compare it to. Any key words I should use? Just 1860s, 1850s bodice, civil war? Any websites that might help? Hmm.. Thank you.

9. blubirdboutique

Thank you! I think so too.