1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating this River Island dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by RoyalAmber, Oct 28, 2020.

1. RoyalAmber

RoyalAmber Registered Guest

Sold to me as vintage on eBay, but you know what some sellers are like on there! Made in India, please see photos - thank you so much in advance for any help! If not vintage, what era do you think it’s inspired by? *EDIT Solved, thank you so much for all the help!!*

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

River Island began in 1988, but I think the Supreme range is a recent thing.

I found the same dress is on ebay now, BNWT and the tags look very recent, so I think this is probably only a few years old at the most.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shabby-Chic-Country-Blue-Patchwork-Cotton-Dress-14-River-Island-Supreme/284054826844?hash=item4222fcaf5c:g:U-0AAOSwlsNfOV7~&LH_ItemCondition=1000

It's really cute though. It's a mix of styles really. Patchwork with denim is very 70s, but the shape isn't 70s. I also remember patchwork checks from the 1990s

3. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

This is a modern garment. Madras patchwork garments have popular since the 60-70s and still are manufactured today. I think the babydoll style is popularizing the look from the 90s.

Retro Ruth likes this.
  4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Yes I also thought it had a 90s grunge feel to it.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    carla rey likes this.