1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating this sweet yellow dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Into the void, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Into the void

Into the void Registered Guest

Hey everyone! I just picked up this lovely yellow dress with a very cool print on it. It's a sleeveless wiggle dress with a metal zip down the side and no tags! It's butter yellow with an abstract pattern printed on it. (Maybe Mcm? ) anyways I have provided pics of the insides of the dress and it also on a mannequin. It is pretty small and I did not have to clip it to fit my mannequin she is around a size two and it fit her perfectly. Any help would be awesome!

Attached Files:

themerchantsofvintage likes this.
  2. It looks late 50s or early 60s to me.

3. 1950s. Great print!

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

1950s - I agree - great print!

5. Into the void

Into the void Registered Guest

Thanks everyone!:) I love it I justwish it wasn't so teeeeny:) Now would that be condesered a mid century modern style print?

6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I would say so - if you do some digging online there was a whole period of using scientific discoveries in art - this filtered down into textiles as well - it reminds me of some prints I've seen that were based on micro-organisms.

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a great dress. I love the print! To me, the print and fabric look very late 1940s (1947-1950). This leads me to think that the dress may be home made in the 1950s, of a fabric that was made in the late 40s. Or it could be a late 1940s dress that has been shortened. Just my thoughts.

What is the fabric weave? Is it a crepe, or is a a flat smooth weave, etc? Is it a rayon, silk, or synthetic fiber?