1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating two dresses and a skirt?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DoubleSeahorse, Jul 4, 2004.

1. DoubleSeahorse

DoubleSeahorse Registered Guest

First off, allow me to apologize profusely for my lack of a dress form - which has reduced me to using my artists easel as a temporary substitute until I can purchase a form.

That being said, here are three items from my collection that I've had some trouble getting a rough date on. I'm sort of a newbie at dating stuff so I thought you guys might be able to help me out here... I'm also bad with fabric names but I hope to learn more as I go along.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

An Elinor Gay Originals dress. A very sheer linen or tulle type outer layer with blue flowers embroidered throughout the skirt area. The second layer seems like a black satin and the third layer, forming the underskirt, is black crinoline. My guess is 1950's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A Bernie Bee dress. Looks like could be worn for a cocktail party or semi formal get together. Wonderful scratchy knit fabric bodice with black, white, and gold metallic thread. The skirt is one layer of black velvet and there is a very nice decorative band of black and gold trim and large oval sequins at the waist. I'm gussing 1960's/70's?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A Hofer skirt. This one is a real oddball in my opinion. I've never seen a skirt quite like it! Full length, it feels like it may be made of some polyester material. The pleats are very deep and stiff, not unlike in a lampshade and creates the most fabulous effect of motion when worn. A wide ribbon of black between two thinner ribbons trim the bottom of the skirt. I have no idea where to start with this one, but I imagine it woud look great with a crinoline underneath!

I would really appreciate any help you could give me and if you need more pics, please let me know.

Thanks!

~Tiff~

2. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

The first dress is later 50s I believe and it looks like an embroidered organdy or organza over taffeta. I think you are right on on the second dress - later 68 - 72 or so would be my guess. The skirt I am totally guessing 70s due to the trim, fabric and length.

Hollis

3. ellenm

ellenm Registered Guest

I love that first dress and I can imagine it would look smashing on a mannequin or dress form!

4. Hollis knows her dates and I couldn't be nearly so precise. Wowza-gorgeous 50s dress in organza or organdy, late-60s-to-early-70s gown, and 70s perma-pleat skirt. I have one just like it in solid black. :)

Steph

5. kevinjohnnyc

kevinjohnnyc Registered Guest

6. DoubleSeahorse

DoubleSeahorse Registered Guest

Thanks for all the help you guys!

Yeah I really love that first dress. Such a steal at the Salvation Army for $4! And it's in pretty much perfect shape.

As far as the 'permapleat' skirt. Cool term, I like it. :) I think one of these in a bright red with black trim would be lots of fun too. Umm... I posted a pic of the label on the labels thread but I can post it here too:

[​IMG]

I'm surprised at how close I was with dating.

Again, thank you! And I will certainly try to get better pics of that Elinor Gay dress once I get a dress form of some sort.

~Tiff~

7. camelbackcat

camelbackcat Alumni

Tiff, those are lovely dresses and I love the skirt. I'm a sucker for anything ethnic or unusual.
    I understand your pain re: your dress form. My half form finally broke right in half last week. So, I'm only relisting and waitng for the UPS guy to deliver my French mannequin. It's really been good to have this time off. My old camera blew up the same day the half form dissected herself, so I've been learning to shoot with a much better camera and how to get all those neat effects that block out the background etc.
    If these things have to happen, I guess this is a good time since EBay is sooo slow.
    PS: I agree with the dates on the dresses.
    joey;)

8. bartondoll

bartondoll Guest

LOVE the first dress! I think you should send it to me so that I
    can post pics of how it looks on a mannequin! (and remember, possession is 9/10ths of the law :) )

Sue