1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating unique handbag

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Vintage Chic, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Vintage Chic

Vintage Chic VFG Member

Hi everyone! I have one more handbag that I need help dating. It is made from a green suede like material. Appears 50s to me, but would appreciate confirmation or correction. No label. As always, thank you for your help!

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

This one looks 1940s to me. Nice color, does the suede bleed? if you run your hand across it, is the green colouring left on your hand.
    A lot of these suede handbags were made of antelope suede which has a tendency to bleed.

3. Vintage Chic

Vintage Chic VFG Member

It does not bleed when dry. I lightly wiped it down with a damp cloth to clean it up (it was very dirty) and some of the color did wipe off on the damp towel, which i expected, but nothing major.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

That is good news. I once used a black antelope clutch with a beautiful clasp with a dove grey dress to wear to a wedding...what a fiasco! I had no idea at the time how much that suede would bleed onto my hands and dress!

5. Vintage Chic

Vintage Chic VFG Member

Oh no! It sounds like a beautiful handbag though. Thank you for your input!

6. Vintage Chic

Vintage Chic VFG Member

Any thoughts on the date of the other handbag I posted (in a previous thread)?

7. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

Do you have any bigger pix? I would like to see the hardware in more detail, the 2nd pic and the 5th pic.

8. Vintage Chic

Vintage Chic VFG Member

Closer pics of hardware attached! Thanks!

9. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

I think I agree with MJ, it looks more 40s to me than 50s. Maybe a cusper? I wish I had it in hand. It's really a neat purse.

10. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I also see 1940s, later in the decade so maybe a cusper as has MS has said. It is a great color!

11. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks more '40s to me, as well.

Agree.

12. Vintage Chic

Vintage Chic VFG Member

Thank you everyone for your input.. so very much appreciated!