1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating Victorian/Edwardian piece made in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by telegraphavevintage, Aug 11, 2020.

1. telegraphavevintage

telegraphavevintage Registered Guest

I purchased this gown and matching coat from the home of a retired antique store owner. The owner was moving into a retirement home, and her daughter was selling her collection. Unfortunately the daughter didn't know if this piece was authentic from the 1890s-1910s, or if it is a costume.

The fabric seems to be wool and is quite heavy and well-made. The jacket has hooks and eyes as closures in the front. The back of the dress has a metal zipper going from the neck down to the upper back, then hooks and eyes going sideways, and another metal zipper than goes down the back, more off to the side. The zipper is what gives me pause, although it could have been added later on. The zipper brand is Talon (which went out of business in the 1960s).

The inside of the coat has a label of a custom tailor, K.Y. Lee in Hong Kong. I haven't been able to find any information about the tailor, but the street from the address has been around since the 1890s.

Do we think this is authentic 1890s-1910s, or a costume from the mid-twentieth century? IMG_1171.JPG IMG_9977.JPG IMG_8692.JPG IMG_5955.JPG IMG_3065.JPG IMG_7844.JPG IMG_0385.JPG IMG_8681.JPG IMG_5940.JPG

2. What a lovely piece! But, with the zipper, I would say more recent and to resemble an antique gown and coat

3. gatco

gatco VFG Member

It’s a beautiful dress but it’s not reading authentic turn of the century to me.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  4. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

So elegant! It looks better than I'd expect a costume to be, but not an antique. The fabric is almost definitely alaskine which was especially popular in the 1960s. Maybe it is a very well-made costume!

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It appears to be a garment made for a masquerade ball or costume event, fancy dress ball, etc. But it is made with such wonderful tailoring, it goes beyond a simple "costume". Outstanding. Not antique, but wonderful nonetheless.

6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

How wonderful! Agree that with everyone else that it's mid century. Both the label and the zips are not right for late 1800 or early 1900s.

From the photos, it doesn't look as if the zips were added later, and if they were, you should be able to see some evidence of the previous fastening (eg hooks and eyes) having been removed.

I wonder at it's history, perhaps made for film or some such thing.

7. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

it's late 60s, probably... that popular Juliette look then. NOT actual Victorian.

8. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

A very high quality reproduction, and perfect for a reenactor!

Jonathan likes this.
  9. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Possibly made to co-incide with the "My Fair Lady" film release and the following year or 2 when it was popular for costumes and masquerades. It is Edwardian style, not Victorian, and seems right for about 1910-1912. The label, tailoring techniques,and Alaskine fabric (as Maggie mentioned) is also right for that time of the 1960s. Since it a "costume", my guess is that a wealthy lady had it made up for herself for a special costume occasion. Just a hunch.

10. builder bob

builder bob Registered Guest

this might help? this picture, which shows KY LEE tailor in hong kong, was taken in 1964

Attached Files:

11. Just to clarify:
    Talon zippers are still being made to this day. The company has gone through several changes of ownership (the first in 1968) but the name Talon has been used on zippers throughout.

EDIT: Yikes, I didn't realize this was an old thread brought forward by builder bob's additional info.

MagsRags likes this.