1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating vintage 3 pcs vanity Mid-Century or Art-Deco? style set

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by IsaVintage, Aug 9, 2020.

1. IsaVintage

IsaVintage Registered Guest

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but i found this set to be quite fashionable. I recently found this unusual 3 pieces (hand mirror, brush and comb) vanity set and i really can’t find anything even closely similar online. I’m having trouble dating it but my guess is maybe mid-century…? It has a good weight to it, it’s silver plated metal with embossed spiderwebs like pattern (or mandalas?) and the handles are perhaps made of a natural material, plastic or celluloid, really hard to tell… The quality is very nice. I’m thinking it is not earlier than the 1950s because of the ball tip type brush which is made of supple plastic or nylon bristles. The tips of the bristles looks hand dipped with a matte paint like material in off white color. Although, i don’t know when these type of brushes were introduced. Any infos or guesses would be much appreciated! Could it also be a much recent vanity set?
    vanityset2.jpg vanityset3.jpg vanityset6.jpg vanityset4.jpg vanityset1.jpg vanityset5.jpg vanityset9.jpg vanityset7.jpg vanityset11.jpg vanityset10.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    ThePetticoat5 likes this.
  2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

The bristles on the brush look newer... 80s... is the brush something one can replace as they need?

3. gatco

gatco VFG Member

I have handled tons of these vanity sets and have never seen modern bristles like this. The comb appears that you could slide a new one in but can't tell on the brush. Just my gut tells me a more modern set. Of course I still look at 80's as modern and I have to remind myself that is 40 years ago.

acceber and Retro Ruth like this.
  4. IsaVintage

The brush part is not removable at all. But yeah, it does look newer and 80s could make more sense. Thanks!

5. IsaVintage

The brush part and comb are not removable. Modern would make sense because of the brush. I just always associate vanity sets with being older and more vintage somehow. I know AVON did produce a lot of these and are more modern (70s 80s) Thank you!

6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

It may even be more recent, but designed to look older. I knew I'd seen similar handles somewhere, and finally remembered it was on a magnifying glass, and modern repro. These aren't exactly the same as yours but similar. Yours may be older, as in 80s 90s, or it may be even more recent. I can't find any brush/comb sets in this style today, but it does show that people have been making similar styles more recently.

These are available to buy new today: https://www.blackbrook-interiors.co.uk/accessories/952-magnifying-glass-black-white-handle.html

[​IMG]

And another similar: https://www.hardwaretree.com/proddetail.php?prod=AA-51365
    [​IMG]

IsaVintage likes this.
  7. gatco

gatco VFG Member

YES me too but I couldn't pull it out my brain.

Retro Ruth likes this.