1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help dating vintage velvet dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Luca_Balzarini, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Luca_Balzarini

Luca_Balzarini Registered Guest

Hello,
    I've recently purchased this dress but I'm really struggling with dating, at first glance I thought it was from the 70's but the drop waist and the inside seams look way older (30's/40's is my second guess).

Any help / opinion would be super appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,
    Luca

Attached Files:

Retro Ruth likes this.
  2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It has many of the elements of a 1920s dress. It sure looks like 1920s to me, but having it in hand would make it easier to identify. Can you show it on a dress form or person? It is probably made of silk velvet.

4. Luca_Balzarini

Thank you for your replies!!
    It does have a very "flapper silhouette" and the velvet is definitely silk: I originally excluded the 1920s only because the dress is in too perfect condition lol

I can show you the dress on a mannequin asap :)

5. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

It does look 20s to me. The silks from the 20s hold up quite well.

6. Moonchild

Moonchild Registered Guest

That's an amazing piece! It definitely has a really old look to it. As others mention, it does look like it could belong in the 1920's, but it just seems to be in too good of a condition to be 100 years old. It wouldn't be uncommon for someone to have been a vintage entuthiast back in the 50's and made it in an older style.
    Maybe bring it to someone in your area that might know something about this? Or maybe even a museum

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It is quite surprising for many folks to find that there is clothing that is 200 years old (or older) that remains in good condition. Condition is not really a huge factor in dating most vintage garments.

8. Moonchild

Moonchild Registered Guest

You’re right, it’s definitely not a reliable factor in dating clothing! But it can be surprising and amazing to find!

9. Luca_Balzarini

Here is the dress worn, it definitely looks 1920's to me.

Attached Files:

GemGem likes this.
  10. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Love the model look & styling! Gorgeous dress