1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Dating Vintage Webster Hat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by craftycat, Nov 29, 2017.

1. craftycat

craftycat Registered Guest

Hello! I'm new to the forum, but in reality I've been stalking it for awhile now without an account.

So, I know enough about dating vintage clothing to be dangerous, but I know little to nothing about dating accessories. I just picked up this hat at a consignment antique store and am unsure where to begin trying to date it. I understand hats can be difficult in general to narrow down.

Deets: It's a Webster hat, which does not yield many search results. It came in a Champ hat box, which is fun since it is not a Champ hat. I've taken various photos of the inside label and lining. It's definitely machine sewn in places. My general guess would be 70s, but again, I know nothing about accessories.

Thank you, lovely people!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

What a handsome hat. My hunch is 1950s, judging mostly from the inner photos. Lets see what others think.

3. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Welcome!

According to a 1956 article in the Indianapolis Star, "Syl-Mer"--a silicone water- and stain-repellent finish used up till then on home furnishing fabrics--was appearing in fashions, including raincoats and suits.

Within a couple of years, it shows up on men's sportswear and coats, so my guesstimate would be later 50s.

4. craftycat

Thank you!

5. craftycat

That's really helpful! Thank you!

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Great detective work, Carrie!

cmpollack likes this.