1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help deciphering label

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Heather Maston, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Heather Maston

Heather Maston Registered Guest

Hi! I wondered if anyone recognizes the label on this wool shorts and jacket set? I can’t seem to decipher the letters to do any research on it. I’m assuming the set is 80’s -early 90’s. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Joyatri

Joyatri VFG Member

A wild guess is "Byer Petites." I found reference to "Byer Petites" clothing in ads in early 1990s newspapers (on newspapers.com), but nothing else about the label. Is there an RN # on the back of the size tag?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  3. Heather Maston

Thank you! I’ll give that try ☺️ Unfortunately there’s no RN# it just says dry clean only on the back of the size tag.

4. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

That would be a drastic shift for the Byer logo. This is a Byer Too! 80s dress from my archive.
    byer2a.jpg byertaga.jpg

GemGem likes this.
  5. Heather Maston

yes you’re right, did a quick search and it’s definitely a very different label. Will have to keep searching! ☺️

6. Joyatri

Joyatri VFG Member

I agree that it would be quite a departure from the Byer Too label. However, given the sheer number of labels Byer California had including some that had more geometric fonts, I thought there might be a chance that the design of the label on the suit wouldn't be a stretch.
    https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/byer-california-721084/index.html. I couldn't find the trademark for Byer Petite, though I did find the ad for it, as I mentioned. As I said, it was a wild guess. :)

byer.jpg (one of labels registered to Byer California)

MagsRags likes this.
  7. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

8. Heather Maston

Oh wow! They did have many different labels! Even some with three letters like mine has! I can see why it led you there for sure ❤️

Joyatri likes this.
  9. Heather Maston

Ah! Thank you! I tried that combination and nothing came up! Hehe. You’ve put me on the right track, thank you again!

Heather

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    Joyatri and The Vintage Merchant like this.
  10. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Great sleuthing, VFGers!

GemGem, cmpollack, Joyatri and 2 others like this.
  11. Heather Maston

Yes! So thankful for this forum!

12. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I've just realised it's a shorts suit, not a skirt. Smart/work short suits was an early-mid 90s thing, I think? I don't think they happened in the 80s.

GemGem and Joyatri like this.
  13. Heather Maston

Ah thank you! I was narrowing it to more 90’s as well but wasn’t sure. Thank you for this!

14. The Vintage Merchant

they were a thing in the late 80s: i wore them a lot when i lived in Honolulu, late 80s. :)

GemGem and Retro Ruth like this.
  15. Heather Maston

Thank you Mary! I was considering describing these as late 80’s-early 90’s ... do you think that would be accurate or should I keep researching?

Retro Ruth likes this.
  16. The Vintage Merchant

definitely accurate. :)

GemGem likes this.
  17. Heather Maston

Wonderful thank you again!
    Heather

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  18. The Vintage Merchant

you're very welcome, Heather. glad to be able to help a bit. xo

Heather Maston and Retro Ruth like this.
  19. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I remember that shorts thing from the early 90s - but by the time I got on to it, it may not have been the newest trend anymore.

GemGem, Retro Ruth and Heather Maston like this.
  20. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I'm sure this applies to me too!