1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help "define" this blazer

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Maxwell, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Maxwell

Maxwell Registered Guest

Im not sure if this is a vintage item or custom made, but I didnt know where else to turn. So I can see that is a double breasted blazer/jacket/sport or whatever. But I have not been able to figure out the name for that kind of lapel. Maybe something like this exists, bus from the buttons to the stitching it might be custom, I hope thats not the case. But if anyone could help me narrow my search it would be much appreciated. thank you very much for your time :)

Attached Files:

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

The red contrast stitching looks like something I'd see on a 70's, or modern jacket. The way 3 of the buttons are central and two are not on this jacket make me think it was originally single breasted and the buttons were changed to make it look double.

3. Hi Maxwell,

It is indeed an unusual jacket - I would describe it as a double breasted jacket with three rows of buttons and notched lapels. It features contrast top-stitching and slash pockets. There should be two buttons on the bottom row, looks like the one on the left is missing.

Not something you'll find easily, mostly because of the colour combination of red stitching on white. In particular, the deep top-stitched hem and cuffs suggest a fairly modern garment so I would say it's unlikely to be vintage, most likely custom.

4. Maxwell

Maxwell Registered Guest

ok so the two added buttons makes a lot of sense actually. what would you call that type of lapel tho? And the slash pockets has me the most confused, along with the red stitching. and by contrast stitching you just mean the red on white? what would I search for to find something most similar and then add my own flare, seeming that is the best option.

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I would take this photo to a custom tailor such as those on Etsy who should be willing to talk through with you the similarities and differences you want in your custom order jacket.

6. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Actually, I think it is buttoned incorrectly. Are you able to button with the left over the right side?

That straight, close together button configuration was seen during the late 60s and even the 70s and it is seen on some menswear all the way back to the 1920s.

Are there any labels at all? Can you try to button the other way and let us know the result?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  7. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  8. I agree Maureen: it's buttoned back to front (or right to left instead of left to right). I also agree that it is a double breasted rather than single breasted with added buttons.

9. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

I considered it, but I've never seen anything double breasted with three inside buttonholes and buttons. There could be one missing from the outside, unless only the top two fasten there? I'm not getting it. :BAGUSE:

10. Maxwell

Maxwell Registered Guest

Thank guys, yeah its a amazing piece thats why ive been fixated on it for so long. I am not sure how it can button, left to right or otherwise, because I don't know this man personally. I have met him a few times but hes the creator and lead singer of my favorite band. He is well known for wearing ruffled clothing and a lot of others that look vintage. Main reason I posted here because I was wondering if anyone had seen something vintage like this. The best guess I could go with is when they tour in Europe they go to some great thrift stores, possibly finding stuff like this, maybe customizing it a little bit. But thank you showing a picture to a tailor could help, maybe they could pull it off, it just seems like many styles all put together in one. Just wanted to break it apart and define the specifics and you guys have been helpful, so thank you. If anyone thinks of anything else please post it

Pinkcoke likes this.