1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help describing a top

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Sleepinthegarden, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Sleepinthegarden

Sleepinthegarden Registered Guest

I think this is a really neat top, but I'm not sure if it's for a male or female. It feels like that 70's material? There are no tags and I think it could possibly be hand made. Any info would be appreciated! Thank you
    IMG_7945.JPG IMG_7946.JPG IMG_7947.JPG IMG_7948.JPG

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

This is 1970-early 1970s. It's like a screen print on poly. They were very popular, made for lots of stores... like Wards and Sears. I have seen the late 60s version but for the life of me can't remember the makers. But when I do, I'll share. Shaheen did a version of this around the same time with THEIR design, screen print process.

3. Sleepinthegarden

Sleepinthegarden Registered Guest

Thank you!

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

You can tell if it's for a man or a woman because shirts button differently. Men's buttons are on the right side of the shirt with button holes on the left and women's are the reverse. From your photos, it looks like a men's shirt.

Linn

5. Looks to be polyester knit (if you can stretch it in one direction, usually horizontally, it's "single knit" and if you can stretch it in both directions, it's "double knit"). My paternal grandmother lived in these clothes, long after they'd gone out of style. She got stuck in the early 70s. My other grandmother was fortunate to have stopped adopting trends in the early 60s, so she always dressed like Jackie O. I think it's women's because the buttons are on the left (as worn) and it's a feminine swing shape. It probably had matching pants. The print is very cute.

Sleepinthegarden likes this.