Help dress dating & Fabric?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion Q & A' started by Erin Wells, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Erin Wells

Erin Wells Registered Guest

Hi all!

I have this beautiful dress with the label Wilner Dress Co. There is a metal side zip, the length and sleeve length tells me 1940s? I tried to identify the fabric in the VFG Fabric resource, but wasn't too successful. The seams are pinked, but I know that isn't an end all be all detail.

I LOVE the tassel detail on the top and the fact that they are all still attached is wonderful!

At first glance ( inexperienced glance) it seems to be a silk of some kind? It does have a detail which I thought was taffeta, but seems softer than that?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix Trade Member

Pretty color and I love the bobbles at the neckline. It is a bit hard to see the fabric details, but it looks like a "raw" silk such as silk shantung, and a lightweight one at that.

Has it been shortened?

3. Erin Wells

Thank you, Barbara! I don't see any alterations, but then again, I wouldn't really know one if I saw one! haha! It is very light weight and soft, but so pretty!

4. Linn

Linn Trade Member

I see 1950's. I also see silk or silk shantung but it could be rayon imitating silk. If you Google "Wilmer Dress Co, Ltd." some items come up in a PDF in French for a company located in Toronto - dates range from 1947 - 1957. I didn't download or read the PDF's but you may want to continue in this direction.

5. Erin Wells

Excellent! Thank you, Linn! I did see the same PDF! All it was was a listing of clothing stores in that area. It was listed as a clothing store in 1947. It is a beautiful dress! I am happy to have it!

6. denisebrain

denisebrain Trade Member

Do check out the info and picture of shantung, and you might also want to try a thread-burn test, because silk is relatively easy to distinguish from rayon. https://vintagefashionguild.org/determining-fiber/ The luminosity of the fabric is like silk, but the evenness of the slubbing looks more like rayon.

I would think the dress was shortened as Barbara mentioned, because in some ways it looks like late 40s and then it would be longer. Are there shoulder pads?

7. Erin Wells

Thank you, Maggie! I was sort of afraid to do a burn test, but I just might do it! There aren't any shoulder pads, and after looking at it again, it may have been shortened, but whoever did it, did a wonderful job because it is a clean stitching and very neatly done!

denisebrain likes this.