1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help ID unsigned Brooches

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by VintagePassion, May 27, 2018.

1. VintagePassion

VintagePassion Registered Guest

Hello,
    I have a few very beautifully made brooches- I'm just learning about how to identify the time periods of when something came out along with the makers. But I have three that I am stumped on and was hoping maybe someone could enlighten me about any of them. The first one the pin is past the catch and the brooch itself. The other end of the pin you can see is wrapped a couple times with a rod/pin/? to hold in place. < I just can't find information regarding that style> It has a high domed Carnelian Cabochon in the middle and a variety of crystals/rhinestones? I don't know enough about the different stones yet, but can Carnelian also come in green?
    The second one <my personal favorite> it a "Starburst/flower all in deep purple-with small clear rhinestones. gold tone.
    The third one; is done on copper; flower with three different colors and a faux pearl in middle.

100_9303.JPG 100_9304.JPG 100_9305.JPG 1.JPG 2.JPG 100_9322.JPG 100_9304.JPG 2.JPG 100_9324.JPG

Hopefully the pictures will be detailed enough for some answers or information.

2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Hello Vintage Passion -- Nice lot of brooches.

These are simply factory made "findings", and consist of three parts -- the hinge, the pin stem, and the catch, which happens to be a safety catch. The coil or wrapping that you're seeing provides the needed tension so that the stem is 'springy'.

These are glass stones or cabs, and agree that some or all may be crystal as well, and that the center stone has a Carnelian color. The stones with the rainbow iridescence have an Aurora Borealis wash. It's a nice brooch -- possibly a stylized maltese cross, and reminds me of some of the 60s and 70s Florenza and ART jewelry, so you may want to do some google image searches.

I have a similar brooch in a different color way -- mine is an unmarked Schreiner, however, I'm not seeing the same hook and eye construction in back, but again, it's good to do some image searching online.

Very cute enamel over copper -- I would say 60s/70s.

3. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I would date the first brooch to the '50's. I also see a similarity to Florenza, and Art and also Hollycraft pieces. I would date the one with the purple stones late '50s - '60's and I think the copper enamel piece is late '60's.

4. VintagePassion

THANK you so much for your time and your reply. I will certainly do more research in those areas. I have few other brooches that sure could use some guidance with and a couple of pendants that's if it wouldn't be too much to impose on you.

5. VintagePassion

6. VintagePassion

Thank you Metro Retro Vintage! I will certainly start digging in those directions, don't know why I am drawn to brooches but they seem to grab me. Some day, I hope to be able to know if it is a certain designer/maker etc when they are not marked. I know that some makers didn't mark things at first or so. A while back was lucky enough to get a beautiful brooch by SCHREINER NEW YORK for $1.00 at a thrift store Here is a photo of it: 20180317_002602 (2).jpg
    I'll post some other brooches that would love to get some info about them. If you wouldn't mind helping me out again. :)

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  7. Metro Retro Vintage

Beautiful brooch and lucky score! You certainly have the eye -- and looking forward to seeing more treasures. :)

8. VintagePassion

Hello again,
    Ok I have this pair of earrings that the only mark can make out is 800. The other marks one kind looks like JS with some kind of mark before it and another after it then O R with line through the R? I could be WAY off on the letters. They tested as gold. over 18k Might be 19k from Portugal ? < I think - since they use 800 for 19k gold. > the hooks are melted into the earring - for the size they are- they are a bit heavy. Haven't found anyone that can enlighten me about them- age? 20180515_200033.jpg 100_7510 (2).JPG 100_8219.JPG

Attached Files:

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  9. Metro Retro Vintage

Great looking earrings! They appear to be featuring coins from antiquity, and I would love to see all of the hallmarks in back, which would be the best way to determine metal fineness, age and origin. Can you post a large close-up pic of each mark singularly?

10. VintagePassion

I've tried- my camera sucks.. I've tried my phone= and a camera and nether will get me the shots I want- I'll keep trying. Thank you for your interest..

Lee

11. Nansk

Nansk Registered Guest

2nd large pic - my eyes may be deceiving me but do I spy an "H" and a "C" on the ends of the central cluster squares?

12. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

SOMEtimes scanning jewelry at a high resolution will get good results...sometimes, not. but it might be worth a try.

great brooches and cool earrings. love your selections!