1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Identify 80s Chanel Silk Bomber Jacket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by James W, Nov 4, 2015.

1. James W

James W Registered Guest

Hi everyone,

I've been looking to purchase an 80s Chanel Silk Bomber Jacket and came across one recently that I quite like. However, I have some concerns about the authenticity of the item.

1. The seller (no disrespect to him if it's real), says the reason there is no tag on this Chanel jacket is because 'tag or no tag, all Chanel jackets were made by the same manufacturer in the 80s'.

2. The logo on the front isn't interlocking exactly parallel (one side is slightly more raised than the other), but that might just be due to the zips?

3. The font seems okay to me?

4. I've never come across a Chanel jacket like this (unlike the chain one), which could mean why would someone make a fake of it or alternatively it'd be easy to make a fake of it?

Thank you for your time! Chanel Jacket 5.jpg Chanel Jacket.jpg Chanel Jacket 3.jpg Chanel Jacket 4.jpg Chanel Jacket 2.jpg

2. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Hi, please note we do not authenticate as per the forum rules.

The front is probably not level because the zipper appears to have been replaced (going by old cut threads inside which haven't all been removed, and the new line of stitching which doesn't look professionally done, as it's a little wonky, tight and the fabric not smooth underneath, probably because this fabric is slippery and hard to work with).

3. James W

James W Registered Guest

I appreciate that for authentication I'll need to go to an appraiser, but I'm curious as to whether anyone's come across a Chanel jacket like this before? Do you reckon that just because the new line of stitching doesn't seem professionally done, this could just be due to the age of the item and that it has been under many different owners, rather than it being a copy? Thank you for your answers

4. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Zips get replaced by the owners of garments all the time, it's impossible to say without more knowledge. Perhaps you can ask the seller if it was like that when they got it.