1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help identifying an aquascutum coat's age and fur

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by shaeshepherd, May 15, 2021.

1. shaeshepherd

shaeshepherd Registered Guest

Hi! I recently inherited an aquascutum cashmere/wool coat and want to know:

a) what year or range of years it was likely manufactured and sold,
    b) what kind of material/fur is on the epaulettes (hoping I'm using the correct term); is it cashmere, wool, a combo, or is it something different and wasn't included on the label for some reason?

The previous owner moved to Alberta, Canada in the mid-1960s, so that lines up with the label for Henry Singer (which still operates in Edmonton). I would personally guess 1965-1979 but that's a wide range that I would love to narrow down. I reviewed other Aquascutum posts on this forum and found some possibly useful reference material to determine the age. This post has a coat with similar tags and folks there think it's late 60s or early 70s. This post has what I assume are more modern tags and drops the "Queen Mother" component on the collar tag, so I'm guessing that makes it newer than the one I have. Meanwhile this discussion is over a coat with several matching features (the orange paper tag inside a pocket, the stitched size patch, even the mysterious XXX or XXL on the collar tag) - folks there thought that one was late 70s. The patch identifying how to clean and its materials on the one I have though is different and imo looks older than the one in that post, so perhaps that means the one I have is early 70s rather than late 70s? EDIT: Just found a label bank that has a pretty near identical label for Aquascutum that is dated for early 1980s.

As for the fur, I have no idea how to figure that out.

I've attached images of the coat, close-up of one epaulette, and every tag. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

The fur on the collar looks like sheepskin, unless it's faux fur, and hasn't been included in the label. Is it possible it's a later addition?

3. shaeshepherd

shaeshepherd Registered Guest

Thanks for your reply Ruth!

Is it unusual for the fur to not be listed on the label?

It's certainly possible but I would guess unlikely, I don't think the previous owner tailored or adjusted any of his other attire.

4. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I don't know if that's unusual, to not list it on the label