1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help identifying artist on 70s novelty shirt!

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Into the void, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Into the void

Into the void Registered Guest

Hey :) I know you all are good detectives so I’m trying to figure out which impressionist artist is printed on this shirt and if possible the painting itself. At first glance I thought it was Toulouse Lautrec then I thought Manet but the style just seems slightly
    Off for both artists but I also wonder if the painting itself was altered a bit maybe simplified for printing purposes. Thank you all!

Attached Files:

Chiquita likes this.
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I think the artist has drawn inspiration from a few different French Impressionists and made his or her own style. The figures remind me very much of those in a Renoir painting, the technique a bit Van Gogh. I can see Lautrec also.

Just my 2 cents. It is great shirt indeed.

3. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

Chiquita likes this.
  4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

5. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

I have a bunch of theses kind of great masters copies novelty print shirts, the shirts were changed just enough so they wouldn't get sued by the estate.

The Vintage Merchant likes this.
  6. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I guess that was the point... changing them enough so that they couldn't be sued for anything, but still leaving it recognisable enough. I have a home-made dress made from polyester fabric with a print inspired by one of Gauguin's most famous works - only that the figures are more/differently dressed than in the original painting.

carla rey likes this.
  7. carla rey

carla rey VFG Member

I have a version of Van Gogh's 'Starry night' in red
    il_570xN.1418890800_ab6v.jpg

8. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I *just* came into some raw fabric... Klee, Miro and Picasso fusion! So perfect to have this discussion handy!