1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Identifying Corset age and pricing

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Molly Dvora, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Molly Dvora

Molly Dvora Registered Guest

Hi There-

I'm having difficulty identifying and pricing this vintage corset (images attached). It says C.P. A la Sirene Paris "Eva" Made in France. Thanks so much for your help - - this piece is truly stumping me! IMG_0282.JPG IMG_0278.JPG IMG_0279.JPG View attachment 29792 IMG_0281.JPG

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Hi Molly, and welcome to the VFG forums. I do not have corset expertise, but I'm sure someone else will come along who does. I did want to say that I love the detailing on yours - so pretty.

I also wanted to let you know that VFG members are not able to offer appraisals or pricing suggestions. General guidelines for participating here at VFG are available here
    http://forums.vintagefashionguild.org/pages/Welcome-to-the-VFG-Forums-please-read/

3. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

It looks post WWI era to me c. 1918 - 1922.

4. Molly Dvora

Thanks Jonathan! When I look up the brand, 99% of the info is in French :/

And Maggie- thanks for the tip :)

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

6. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

AHA - here is a near identical one in style, from Lucille, 1918
    35cc594d5f04a751af96c6fd99a99f89.jpg

carla rey and cmpollack like this.
  7. Molly Dvora

Thanks a lot Jonathan! That does look similar to my corset. I've been trying to get more info on the label, but the only thing I could find was a piece in the Met:http://www.metmuseum.org/collection/the-collection-online/search/86415 - which is obviously more ornate than mine. I'd be interested to know if other members have come across this label before.

8. It reminds me of a '20s Gossard corset I have on the webshop, you can see it here - although I think yours is a little earlier, so a late 'teens date sounds right.

I like the button detailing on yours - by the way, the big hand stitches suggest that it's been taken in at some point. If there's no damage underneath, you might like to remove them as they could be distorting the natural shape of the corset.

9. Molly Dvora

Nicole - thanks so much for the reply and help - I hadn't even noticed the extra stitches!!

The corset in your shop is just breath taking :)

10. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

Hi Molly, such a beautiful piece. I vote early 1920s, and it could possibly be a maternity corset judging by the front stretch panel and the side lacing.

11. Here's some company info:

Text from "World's Columbian Exposition, Chicago, ILL, 1893", which had a corset exhibition:
    "France was represented by II. P. F. Laprince, of Paris, and Farcy & Oppenheim, of Paris, who *are the manufacturers of the C. P. a la Sirene corsets. Their exhibit was very beautiful; it combined French taste with French solidity. This house has received prizes in almost all the principal expositions, so at the last one in Paris the head of firm was decorated with the Legion of Honor and was one of the judges. Their exhibit was consequently "Hors Concours." The sale of their goods is confined to Ottenheimer Brothers, of New York. "

12. Molly Dvora

Any thoughts on how to identify whether the corset is a maternity corset or not? This is the first corset I've acquired for sale in my shop, so have very little expertise in that area of vintage. Thanks so much to everyone for helping - this is a fantastic resource. I've been coming to VFG for years to identify labels and fabrics, but this is my first time using the forum tool.

13. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

14. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member