1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help identifying fur coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jennifer Lantz, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Jennifer Lantz

Jennifer Lantz Registered Guest

I bought this coat at a yard sale and the gal told me that it is a mink coat that has been dyed black. There are no labels to help identify except for one label that I cannot fully read. The second word on the label looks like it reads 'acetato' but I cannot read the word before that (unable to upload picture after several attempts, says file is too large no matter what I tried). The closures are like a hook and clasp type. The clasps open upward and read 'Stivani' on them, they are metal (was unable to upload picture after several attempts). It seems like there are two linings. The regular lining you can see, and another cloth lining covering the back side of the leather (which I can see through a small tear in the seam of the shoulder). It also has a drawstring around the waist inside the lining. The fur is very soft and has guard hairs and also ground hairs. We do not have any furriers in my area so before I travel to get the tear fixed, I'd like to know if it's worth it. Thank you for taking the time to read this and possibly help confirm what I was told about this coat. 1530462212013302976314380638943.jpg 15304622618906651830357385856874.jpg

2. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Hi Jennifer,

Very nice. It is chevron or herringbone mink made from mink fur tails.

I'm not sure whether it would be worth it for you to drive far to have it fixed. The cost to fix it would vary from furrier to furrier and could only be determined by them having the fur in their hands to look at.