1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help identifying fur stole with one photo and no other info (collections care)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Andrew Beveridge, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Andrew Beveridge

Andrew Beveridge Registered Guest

Hey folks,

First of all thank you for the resources which are here on the forum - the pages on Mink and Sable were already really useful!

I'd really appreciate help with identifying anything useful about this item, e.g. what kind of fur it might be, what decade or location it might be from?

fur-stole.jpeg

The only thing we know about it far is that it is titled "fur collar stole" - there are no further details (or even a complete photo) available yet, which is rather frustrating!

We're trying to learn as much as it as possible to make a (tentative) recommendation for the conservation of it as part of a museum collection without physical access to it.

While there are various sensible recommendations and best practices we can recommend (careful management of environmental levels, pest control, anoxic storage etc.), it would be nice to know what animal it actually was!

Our current guess is that it's an american mink based on the prevalence of mink, and the white patch on the chin / throat, but that may be way off (could it be sable? ermine? fisher? weasel?) and any suggestions or tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Also, if anyone happens to have any relevant links to any museum conservation info specific to this kind of object that would also be appreciated - we've got some resources already but it's my first time trying to give a recommendation for this kind of thing specifically and information seems to be quite scarce!

Thanks! :)

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It is difficult to tell from just the one photo. The white patch is odd, which makes me lean to ermine. Maybe he is just starting to wear his winter fur?

Andrew Beveridge likes this.